Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Blueberry Cream Scones


Scones
Originally uploaded by Knitting with my Horses

I got this from Unwind. Let me tell you they are beyond yummy. I could eat them all day, but I make myself just have them for breakfast. This is

Cream Scones
recipe from: How to Bake by Nick Malgieri

Makes 12 scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for wash
cinnamon sugar

Set rack in middle of oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and rub evenly into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine cornmeal (just like if you were making biscuits). Whisk eggs and cream together and stir into the butter and flour mixture. At this point the dough looks a little dry and you might be tempted to add more liquid, but don't just yet. Knead the dough and it will combine nicely. I just use my kitchen aide mixer and let knead it for a few minutes to work all the left over dry ingredients in and you end up with a nice firm dough. At this point the dough looks a little dry and you might be tempted to add more liquid, but don't just yet. Knead the dough and it will combine nicely. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and form each into a 5-inch disk - just pat the dough until it's relatively flat and about 5 inches in diameter. Cut each disk into quarters so you have 4 triangle-shaped wedges. Place scones onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silpat - Brush tops with remaining cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. You want the scones firm but not dry, and you don't want golden brown, but rather just slightly tan...

I added 3 cups of fresh Blueberries to mine and topped them generously with sugar. I also floured my cookie sheet because I don't have parchment. When these are all gone I am planning some cinnamon raisin scones or white chocolate chip blueberry scones. I can't decide..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They look yummy miss knitter baker! :) Might even try them....